Endodontics is the dental specialty that deals with diagnosing and treating dental pulp pathologies. Endodontics near you focuses on eliminating diseased dental pulp from the inside of the tooth. Endodontic treatment is also commonly referred to as root canal treatment or root canal therapy.
Treating a tooth through endodontics in Tarzana eliminates the pain while retaining dental function. In other words, a tooth that has had an endodontic treatment is technically dead but functionally alive. As a result, you can use your tooth to chew, but you won’t experience sensations such as heat, cold, or pain.
If you’re interested in endodontics in Tarzana, please contact LA Endodontics today.
What Causes Dental Pulp Inflammation?
The dental pulp is the innermost tooth layer that consists of blood vessels and nerves. The dental pulp may become inflamed, leading to severe pain and you may need emergency treatment. This inflammation may result from trauma. Additionally, bacteria can infiltrate the dental pulp through cavities. Individuals who grind their teeth are also susceptible to dental pulp inflammation.
When the dental pulp becomes infected or inflamed, the only way to resolve this issue is to remove the dental pulp or extract the entire tooth. Endodontic treatment is advantageous since it retains the tooth.
Root Canal Treatment Steps
There are two forms of endodontic treatment—surgical and non-surgical. Non-surgical or surgical root canals are the most common. A straightforward root canal is similar to a deep filling.
To perform a simple root canal, Dr. Gabreal Shamtoub undertakes the following steps:
- The dentist obtains dental x-rays to determine the root canals’ curvature. This step is crucial because it allows Dr. Gabreal Shamtoub to eliminate all diseased dental pulp without missing anything.
- Next, our dentist near you numbs the tooth. Additionally, some patients require sedation to relax during the procedure.
- Our dentist in Tarzana then takes a dental drill and makes a small access hole in your tooth.
- The dentist inserts root canal files via the access hole and uses these files to clean out the inflamed dental pulp.
- After eliminating all dental pulp, our dentist in Tarzana disinfects the tooth and then seals it to prevent re-entry of bacteria.
- Sometimes, you may require a crown to rebuild dental function and appearance.
Schedule A Consultation
If your tooth is causing you sleepless nights, you can do something about it. Get in touch with LA Endodontics to enjoy advanced, patient-centered endodontics in your area.